RDC Program Areas
The RDC opened its doors in February 2013. This first year has been a period of discovery for the Center. We look forward to expanding upon the programs initiated, as well as exploring new possibilities to help our LGBT community and beyond!
The following are current program areas supported by events, open groups, outreach etc. Check back for more updates to this area. Thank you.
Any questions or ideas for a new program contact Peter Volosin at Peter@roanokediversitycenter.com
The RDC values the unique benefits which come from facilitating and partnering with other similar entities on social events of interest and enjoyment to our LGBT community. These presently include the following, many of which are FREE to attend:
- Bi-monthly Rainbow Chat- Informal
- Weekly Games Night - Play board games, air hockey, pool, Playstation 3 games, and karaoke!
- Monthly Drag Trivia w/ The Drop-In Center
- Participation in Local Festivals/Parades
- Film Nights and other multimedia events
The RDC seeks to educate our community and beyond. We provide a “resources page” on our website, along with books, videos and resource pamphlets- information within our Center. The RDC actively plans and facilitates many events which are of a collaborative and informative nature throughout the year with many collaborative events with other organizations…ie legal, financial topics etc.
The RDC is dedicated to empowering our community in its struggle for equality and civil rights. Some events and efforts within this program area include:
- Annual Stonewall Remembrance Event
- Annual Harvey Milk Day Event
- Candlight Vigil Events and Demonstrations
- Press Releases and Response to Media Requests
- Speaker’s Bureau More info HERE.
- Intra- community Organization Support
- Voter’s Registration and Non political Information
The RDC is committed to helping to promote a healthier community through efforts, initiatives and events. The following are examples of this programming area, with additional items envisioned:
- HIV Prevention Events hosted by the Drop-In Center (Drag Bingo, Open Mic Night events)
- Earth Spirit Meditation Group
- LGBT Mini-Health Fair (Under development)
- Social Media Utilization-Health Articles/Info
- RDC in-house- informal chat groups, formal counselor-led support groups.