Welcome to the Roanoke Diversity Center
To support, educate, empower, and advocate for LGBT individuals and groups in the Roanoke region, and to encourage collaborative efforts with the greater community to improve the quality of life for all.
The RDC will inspire and empower lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in SW Virginia to lead full and rewarding lives. We will be a catalyst for change within and beyond our community.
Individually and as an organization, we value diversity, dignity, equality, civility, and civic engagement. We hold ourselves accountable to the community we serve and to those who support us.
- Provide a welcoming, interesting, and safe gathering place for individuals and groups.
- Enable community members to interact informally and organizations to meet regularly.
- Enhance access to resources by gathering and sharing information and referrals on a variety of topics including LGBT-owned and LGBT-friendly professionals, businesses, and organizations.
- Partner with local groups to create a supportive network of organizations that serve the LGBT community.
- Gather and share information about events, organizations, and volunteer and activism opportunities.
- Reduce isolation among marginalized and under-served individuals and groups.
- Provide information about and introduction to the community for those new to the area or newly out.
- Advocate for equality, locally and at the state and national levels.
- Maintain a vibrant and growing lending library.
- Support health and wellness by hosting HIV-testing, substance abuse prevention, and other programs.
- Encourage participation in and appreciation of the arts by hosting shows, films, and classes.
- Reach out to the larger community to increase public awareness and understanding of LGBT people and issues.
- Offer external programs and a speaker’s bureau.